In October, 2017, Xiaomi launched a new bedside light – Mijia Bedside Light, which, at first glance, seems identical to the previous version – Yeelight Bedside Light launched one year ago. So are there any differences between the two and which product should you opt for?
Xiaomi Yeelight Bedside Light vs. Xiaomi Mijia Bedside Light: design
At first glance, the two bedside lights are very similar to each other – at least when it comes to design (size, appearance, buttons, etc.), but some subtle changes can still be found if you take a closer look.
The first difference you’ll spot instantly is the packaging. This may be nothing, but I found the Xiaomi Mijia Bedside Light easier to unbox.
Base colors also differ. The Yeelight Bedside Light comes with a silver-gray base while the Mijia Bedside Light features a golden one. At the front of the base you will see the lights’ distinct logos.
The first design advantage I spot is that the new Mijia Bedside Light does better on the details – namely, the power adaptor. Yeelight’s power adaptor occupies much space on the socket, while Mijia’s power adaptor is more space-saving and convenient to use.
Xiaomi Yeelight Bedside Light vs. Xiaomi Mijia Bedside Light: performance
The most notable and welcome changing is the support of Wi-Fi connection on the Xiaomi Mijia Bedside Light. This change lets the Mijia Bedside Light be easily integrated into the Mi Smart Home ecosystem. For connectivity to other devices, the light also comes with Bluetooth.
However, on the original Yeelight Bedside Light, you will only find Bluetooth connection support.
Apart from the very welcome Wi-Fi connectivity update, the Xiaomi Mijia Bedside Light has kept all of the key functionality of the Yeelight Bedside Light, such as:
● Both lights adopt high-quality CRI (Color Rendering Index) Osram LED chip and ABS sheathing material, which ensure the light working up to 20,000 hours. So feel free to keep the light on to your heart’s content.
● The most attractive feature both lights come with is the light performance. The Xiaomi Bedside Light is capable of perfectly showing a myriad of colored lights taking home lighting to whole new levels of imagination. With 16 million colors to choose from, the one thing both Xiaomi lights are definitely good at is making your life incredibly colorful!
What’s more, the 1700K – 6500K color temperature makes Xiaomi Bedside Light suitable not only for home lighting, but also can be easily used to create various ambiance scenarios: romantic, peaceful, festive and so forth.
● Another feature of the two Xiaomi’s bedside light I am really fond of is the fun touch control. As you can see, there is a touch panel at the top of the light, and two control buttons – just waiting for your touch.
Press the Power Button to turn the light on and off; press the Mode Button to switch between various modes (reading light, colored light, color flow, etc.). Besides, you can move your finger around the top of the light to adjust the brightness level, and hold the Mode Button whilst moving your finger around the top of the light to set the color.
● Of course, like most of Xiaomi products, this Xiaomi’s bedside lights can be easily controlled via the Mi Home App. You just need to scan the QR code on the user manual to download the Mi Home App, and then every function of the bedside light can be conveniently controlled by your smartphone. For example, you will be able to turn the light on and off, set the color and brightness level; control the Color Flow mode by adjusting the brightness and flow speed, and more!
And – great news! The new Mijia Xiaomi Bedside Light will also be able to join your Mi Home ecosystem, making your life smarter and more convenient.
For instance, you can use the Xiaomi AI Speaker to enable voice control of the light. Or, pair the light with the Mi Smart Temperature and Humidity Sensor and the color temperature of the light will be automatically adjusted according to your room temperature. You can also connect the bedside light to your Xiaomi Mi Band 2 Smart Watch. The light color will become soft and even hypnotic when the Mi Band 2 detects that you are sleeping, and, finally, the light will automatically turn off when you are asleep. Now that’s smart living!
How to pair Xiaomi Mijia Bedside Light with Mi Home App?
If you want to control the Mijia Bedside Light through the Mi Home App, the installation is super easy and simple.
● The first step is to power on the Xiaomi Mijia Bedside Light, and then open Mi Home App on your smartphone (if you don’t have the Mi Home App, you can scan the QR code on the user manual to download it).
● The Mi Home App will automatically detect the Mijia Bedside Light. Then, you can turn on Bluetooth and set up Wi-Fi according to the on-screen instructions. Once finished, you can control the bedside light via your smartphone: change hue and brightness, set up timers, set up smart home automation, set up sensors & switches to control the light and so on.
Note: If the Xiaomi Mijia Bedside Light is later connected to a new network, you will need to perform a factory reset. Just hold the Power Button and Mode Button at the same time until it displays the RGB colors (Red, Green, Blue) and automatically reboots. Then, the new Wi-Fi network will be available for your bedside light.
Xiaomi Mijia Bedside Light vs. Xiaomi Yeelight Bedside Light: price
Finally, let’s take a look at the price of the two Xiaomi bedside lights on Gearbest. The new Xiaomi Mijia Bedside Light comes at $49.69, while the original Xiaomi Yeelight Bedside Light sells at $44.2. The about $5 difference is a small price to pay for some welcome updates like Wi-Fi support and Mi Smart Home ecosystem integration on the Xiaomi Mijia Beside Light.
Compared with the original Xiaomi Yeelight Bedside Light, the new Xiaomi Mijia Bedside Light has a finer design, new functionality and the same stellar performance. As a newly-coming member in the Mi Home ecosystem, the Xiaomi Mijia Bedside Light is another step forward in creating a smart home for us.